Our Immigration Law Services (click aquí para Español)

The Law Offices of Paul C. Supple stay current on immigration law as well as the ever-changing requirements of the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). In order to provide you the best possible results, Paul C. Supple and his professional staff assess each immigration and naturalization case methodically through a review process called Primer Paso Evaluation. Don't struggle on your own trying to interpret the complex state and federal immigration laws. We are here to help you obtain the optimum legal benefits available.

Call us with any questions you have regarding immigration law including naturalization, deportation, permanent visas as well as visas for marriage, work, travel, I-601 hardship cases and all matters related to immigration.


The Law Offices of Paul C. Supple know how important your immigration is to you, so, the first thing we do is to conduct a fair and appropriate assessment-a Primer Paso Evaluation. The Primer Paso Evaluation helps us to understand the specific details of your immigration situation, your needs and issues. The Primer Paso Evaluation is a completely confidential meeting. It is an in-depth discussion in which we gather vital information regarding your immigration needs. Through this process we are able to be clear about the issues, we can make recommendations, and formulate a specific plan. The Primer Paso Evaluation will take about 60-90 minutes.

With a Primer Paso Evaluation, the Law Offices of Paul C. Supple can establish: the feasibility of your case, how long it will take, and whether your case or petition has a reasonable outlook for success. We are proud of our record of immigration successes but we do not want to mislead you. While we are willing and capable of taking on even the most complicated cases, we are also honest and straightforward about your chances and risks. We do not want (nor would it be right) to waste your money or raise your hopes by pursuing an impossible petition.

Our goal through the Primer Paso Evaluation is to decide on the best course of action. We can also reasonably determine and discuss with you the legal cost and fees. We believe that once you know your options, responsibilities, and the costs involved, it will help you make a more comfortable and confident decision for yourself and for hiring Paul C. Supple as your attorney.

Nuestros Servicios De La Inmigración

Para poder darle el mejor consejo y resultado con su caso de inmigración, primeramente se tiene que evaluar su caso metodicamente. Nosotros en las Oficinas de Paul C. Supple nos mantenmos al corriente de la ley de inmigración así como los requisitos del Departamento de Inmigracion (USCIS). No intente de interpretar las leyes de inmigración solo. La ley de inmigración es amplia y compleja, y el USCIS que maneja el papeleo de inmigración, es enorme. USCIS supervisa una cantidad infinita de aplicaciones diarias. Y, cada aplicación requiere procedimientos, reglas, formas, y documentación diversa. Nosotros podemos ayudarle a obtener las mejores ventajas disponibles de inmigración. Llámenos con cualquier pregunta con respecto a la ley de inmigración incluyendo: la naturalización, la deportación, visas permanentes: de matrimonio, el trabajo, de VAWA y mucho más.


En las Oficinas de Paul C. Supple sabemos que su caso de inmigración es sumamente importante, así es que la primera cosa que hacemos es conducir una evaluación justa y apropiada-eso es la Evaluación Primer Paso. Evalución Primer Paso nos ayuda a entender su situación de inmigracion- sus necesidades asi como sus problemas. Evaluación Primer Paso es una cita totalmente confidencial. Será una conversación detallada y recopilaremos la información esencial con respecto a su caso de inmigración. Con este proceso podemos determinar que son los mejores recursos, podemos hacer recomendaciones, y si es prudente formular un plan para usted. La Evaluación Primer Paso tomará 60 a 90 minutos.

Con una Evaluación Primer Paso, podemos establecer: la viabilidad de su caso, cuánto tiempo tomará, y si su caso o petición tiene una oportunidad razonable para el éxito. Somos orgullosos de nuestros éxitos en casos de inmigración, pero no queremos engañarle. Estamos dispuestos y capaces de tomar los casos más complicados, pero también somos honestos y directos sobre sus oportunidades asi como sus riesgos. Pero no queremos (ni es correcto) que usted invierta dinero o levante sus esperanzas en un caso que tiene muy poca posabilidad de tener éxito.

También explicaremos claramente los costos de nuestro servicio y tambien los costos requeridos del gobierno. Creemos que una vez que usted entienda sus opciones, responsabilidades, y los costos implicados, le ayudará a hacer una decisión más cómoda y más confiada para sí mismo, incluyendo la decision para contratar a Paul C. Supple como su abogado.


"Naturalization is the process by which U.S. citizenship is granted to a foreign citizen or national after he or she fulfills the requirements established by the Congress in the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). In most cases, an applicant for naturalization must be a permanent resident (green card holder) before filing. Except for certain U.S. military members and their dependents, naturalization can only be granted in the United States."

Good for you, you want to become a Citizen of the United States of America.

If you have come to this page, chances are that you are a U.S. permanent resident-a green card holder-who is well-established in American life, feel a real connection to the United States and are now positive about becoming a U.S. citizen. Without a doubt, becoming a United States citizen will grant you many benefits, including the right to vote and travel as a U.S. citizen with all its protections.

There are also real responsibilities when you become a U.S. citizen, such as giving up allegiance to any other country, supporting and defending the Constitution and laws of the United States and serving the country if necessary.

As expressed by the USCIS there are requirements and obligations that you must fulfill to become a citizen. You must:

  • Be 18 years old or older (accommodations for children under 18 under certain circumstances)
  • Meet residency prerequisites: time and physical presence
  • Have English language skills
  • Have knowledge of U.S. History & Government
  • Be a person of good moral character
  • Maintain allegiance to the United States
  • Submit an application & fees for U.S. Citizenship
  • Take a Naturalization test

Don't underestimate the importance of professional help when it comes to naturalization. This is a big step. You need to get it right!

Because this is one of the most important decisions of your life, it is definitely essential to seek guidance and help from an immigration attorney. You do not want to make any errors or do anything in this process that can spoil this special opportunity. As you might guess, the Naturalization process involves many steps, with countless detailed procedures and instructions. It needs to be completed thoroughly and correctly. This includes:

  • Determination of eligibility
  • Completion of the application
  • Additional applications for children
  • Collection of all necessary documents
  • Submission of forms, documents, and fee payments
  • Getting Interviewed & Background Check
  • Taking English and Civics Exam
  • Taking an Oath of Allegiance and more...

The Law Offices of Paul C. Supple are ready to help you realize your dreams to become a naturalized United States citizen. Call our office at 714.480.0050. We will navigate the naturalization process for you and do everything we can to make it happen.


In order for a person from another country (an immigrant) to become a lawful permanent resident and get a green card, the USCIS must first approve an immigrant's visa petition (application). A petition is submitted by a petitioner: a family member who is a U.S. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (Family-Based Visa) or by an employer (Work Visa) on behalf of an immigrant (the beneficiary).

There are many requirements, details, procedures, forms and documentation required to get a visa/green card. The time and approval to get a green card varies as well. Issues that can make a difference are whether a beneficiary is living inside or outside of the United States, and if a beneficiary is an immediate relative. Once an immigrant's petition is approved, it allows the immigrant to become a permanent resident of the United States and to continue the immigration process through an Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing.


An applicant/beneficiary must qualify to apply for Adjustment of Status or Consular Processing and cannot apply for both. Each process has certain requirements: eligibility rules, procedures, forms, and interviews to complete the goal to permanent residency. Either way is a complicated and tedious process that requires close attention to detail and accuracy. To determine which immigration process is best or most appropriate for you, it is important to consult an immigration attorney.


Adjustment of Status allows an approved beneficiary to complete the permanent residency process without having to return to the country of birth and may remain in the United States. With AOS, a person may apply for a work permit as well as an authorization to travel.


Consular Processing is another way to complete the permanent residency process. Unlike AOS, Consular Processing requires the beneficiary to have a visa number and to apply for an immigrant visa at a U.S. Consulate abroad, usually in the country of birth. You cannot work or travel with Consular Processing.


(click aquí para Español)

A green card is a visa-a legal identity document-issued by the U.S. Citizenship Immigration Services (USCIS) to an immigrant from another country. The green card is proof that the immigrant is a legal permanent resident (LPR) who is allowed to live and work legally in the United States. The laws of the United States and its states protect permanent residents, and a permanent resident must comply with all U.S. laws. However, legal residency does not confer all the rights of U.S. citizenship. For instance, a permanent resident cannot vote.

Every lawful permanent resident over the age of 18 must have the green card in their personal possession at all times. Failing to comply with this requirement is a considered a misdemeanor.

Renewing a Green Card

Most green cards are valid for 10 years, but some conditional green cards are for much less time. A green card must be renewed about six months before the card expires. If a green card has been lost, stolen or destroyed, a legal permanent resident must apply for a replacement immediately.

If you need assistance in preparing and filing for a green card or need to renew or replace your green card, call the Law Offices of Paul C. Supple for professional assistance at 714.480.0050.


La mica simplemente es una visa-una tarjeta legal-emitido por los Estados Unidos del Departamento de Inmigración a un inmigrante de otro país. La mica es una indentificación que representa la presencia legal de ese inidividuo. Un residente legal debe tener la tarjeta en su posesión siempre. Con la mica uno puede trabajar y vivir en los Estados Unidos legalmente. La mica se tiene que renovar cada diez años, seis meses antes de que venza.

Renovando Su Mica

La mayoría de las micas (tarjetas verdes) son válidas por 10 años pero algunas tarjetas verdes son condicionales y por mucho menos tiempo. Una mica debe de ser renovada cerca de seis meses antes de que venza la tarjeta. Si se ha perdido, se ha robado o se ha destruido un residente permanente legal debe solicitar por un reemplazo inmediatamente.

Si usted necesita ayuda en la preparación de una mica o necesita renovar o substituir su carta verde, llame al abogado Paul C. Supple para recibir ayuda profesional al 714.480.0050.


United States immigration law allows United States Citizens or Lawful Permanent Residents to help their family members become legal permanent U.S. residents and get a visa (Green Card). This is done through a petition (application) process with the United States Citizen and Immigration Service (USCIS). The petition filed must establish the family relationship and must also prove that the petitioner has enough income or assets to support the relative in the United States. The USCIS has different family qualifications, procedures, and limitations for the petitions of a Lawful Permanent Resident and a U.S. Citizen.

A U.S. Citizen may petition for:

a spouse, children-married or unmarried, and, if the U.S. Citizen petitioner is over 21 years, he/she may petition for parents, brothers and sisters.

A Lawful Permanent Resident may petition for:

a spouse, and unmarried children regardless of age.

The USCIS also uses a system that prioritizes family-based petitions into two categories:

(1) Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens
(2) Family Preferences of U.S. Citizens and Legal Permanent Residents

Immediate Relatives of U.S. Citizens

Petitions for immediate relatives of U.S. Citizens are unlimited. That means that there is no limit as to the number of immediate relative immigrants that can be admitted to the U.S. each year. An immediate relative of a U.S. Citizen petitioner includes the following:

  • Spouse of a U.S. Citizen
  • Unmarried children under 21 years of age
  • An orphan adopted abroad by a U.S. Citizen
  • An orphan to be adopted in the U.S.
  • A parent

Family Preferences of U.S. Citizens & Lawful Permanent Residents

Petitions for more distant relatives can be filed through a family-preference petition. However, there are limits on the number of family-preference immigrants admitted to the U.S. each year. Because of these limits and the vast number of qualified applicants, many family-preference immigrants have long waits for their visa. In such a case, an approved applicant is given a priority date and gets "in line". A visa cannot be issued until that date arrives, and that often means several years of waiting. Wait times are published in a Visa Bulletin through the State Department.

Family-preference categories are in order of priority: (1 through 4)

  • 1. Unmarried sons and daughters of U.S. Citizens and their minor children
  • 2. A. Spouses, minor children (under 21) of Lawful Permanent Residents
    B. Unmarried sons and daughters (21 and over) of Lawful Permanent Residents
  • 3. Married sons and daughters of U.S. Citizens and their spouses and minor children
  • 4. Brothers and sisters of U.S. citizens, their spouses and minor children

If at any time a lawful permanent resident becomes a U.S. citizen, a relative's petition can be upgraded. The USCIS must be notified as soon as possible to communicate the change and advance the petition process.


If you are a United States citizen who is planning to marry a foreign national, you may petition the USCIS for a fiancé visa.

Note: If you are a U.S. citizen and are already married to a non-resident foreign national, you may petition the USCIS under a Family-Based Visa. This includes: a spouse outside of the United States, both the U.S. citizen and spouse outside of the U.S., or both are in the United States.

If you petition for a fiancé visa, you must show that:

  • You- the petitioner- are a U.S. citizen
  • You intend to marry within 90 days of your fiancé entering the United States.
  • You and your fiancé are free to marry and any previous marriages must have been legally terminated.
  • You met each other, in person at least once within 2 years of filing your petition. (There are waivers under certain conditions.)

Once you marry within the required 90 days your spouse may apply for permanent residency. If your fiancé has unmarried children under 21 permanent residency may also be available to them. After admission to the United States work permits may also be granted to a spouse.

Fiancé visas are processed in order that they are received. Once the processing is complete, the approved petition is then forwarded to the National Visa Center (NVC). The NVC will then send the petition to the U.S. Embassy or consulate, which will need additional time to process your fiancé for a visa. As a result, the time for this process will vary from country to country.

There are important details to consider when applying for a fiancé visa. It is wise to seek legal counsel when you are planning to marry. A well-informed attorney like Paul Supple can guide you correctly so that you can start your life as a family as quickly as possible. Call 714.480.0050 for help with a Fiancé visa application.


The United States allows thousands of employment-based visas every year. These visas are granted by priority and based on the needs of the United States labor market. Some opportunities are temporary while others provide a path to permanent residency. Employment-based visas require the submission of an application and many related documents to the USCIS from employers or work sponsors.

The USCIS has identified five (5) work preference areas in granting employment visas. Included here is a general description of the type of work visas available.

Each work category has additional requisites not addressed here:

  • Preference 1
    Reserved for what the USCIS defines as persons of "extraordinary ability" in the sciences, arts, education, business or athletics; outstanding professors or researchers; and multinational executives and managers.
  • Preference 2
    Reserved for persons who are members of the professions holding advanced degrees or equivalent with 5 years of work experience, or persons with exceptional ability in arts, sciences, or business.
  • Preference 3
    Reserved for professionals, skilled workers and other workers. These persons need a minimum of 2 years of non-temporary work or training, a baccalaureate degree or degree in the profession. This preference also includes "Other workers", that is non-temporary unskilled labor requiring less than 2 years of training or experience. In this case a labor certification is required.
  • Preference 4
    Reserved for "special immigrants," which includes certain religious workers, employees of U.S. foreign service posts, retired employees of international organizations, alien minors who are wards of courts in the United States, and other classes of aliens.
  • Preference 5
    Reserved for business investors who invest $1 million or $500,000 (if the investment is made in a targeted employment area) in a new commercial enterprise that employs at least 10 full-time U.S. workers.


On June 15, 2012, President Obama announced that many young people, who were brought to the United States through no fault of their own, would be protected from deportation from the United States under certain criteria. This is called "Deferred Action". This order from the president gives renewed hope to countless undocumented young people who already call the U.S. their home. This welcome immigration policy will allow thousands of individuals to continue living in the United States without fear.

Criteria for Deferred Action

A person must:
  • 1. Be between the age of 15 and 30 and entered the U.S. before age 30
  • 2. Have been present in the U.S. for 5 years as of June 15, 2012
  • 3. Have maintained continuous residence
  • 4. Have not been convicted of one serious crime or multiple minor crimes
  • 5. Be currently in school, graduated or have a GED, or is an honorably discharged veteran

President Obama's order also had some very important instructions:

  • That the Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Customs Border Protection (CBP) and the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) exercise discretion of removal actions immediately for any individuals who meet these criteria including those that are about to be removed.
  • That USCIS establish an Application process for Deferred Action. The Deferred Action application was made available as of August 15, 2012
  • In addition, a person granted Deferred Action can also qualify for a work permit.

If you or someone you know qualifies for Deferred Action and needs further information on the qualifications or needs help with the detailed application process, call the Law Offices of Paul C. Supple with any questions at 714.480.0050.

VAWA VISAS (Violence Against Women Act)

Under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) a battered spouse, child or parent may file for an immigrant visa petition. VAWA applies equally to men and women. Your abuser will not be notified that you have filed for immigration benefits under VAWA.

You are eligible to file a petition if:

  • You were or are the spouse of a U.S. Citizen or permanent resident.
  • You may also file for your unmarried children who are under 21-if they have not filed for themselves.

  • Parent:
  • You are the parent of a child who has been abused by your U.S. Citizen or permanent resident spouse.
  • Your petition can also include children who have not been abused - if they have not filed for themselves.
  • You are a parent of a U.S. Citizen and you U.S. son or daughter has abused you.

  • Child:
  • You are under 21 and have been abused by you U.S. Citizen or permanent resident parent.
  • You may file after age 21 but before 25 if you can show that the reason for delay was the abuse.
  • You may also include your children on your petition

To apply for a VAWA visa, there are also a number of additional eligibility requirements for a spouse, child and parent. Extensive documentation is required to support your VAWA petition. And, if you have been placed in deferred action and are eligible to apply for work in the U.S., an additional work application is required. It is advisable to seek the help of an immigration attorney who can help you sort out all of the issues and paperwork required under VAWA.

First and foremost, the Law Offices of Paul C. Supple Offices want you and your family to be safe. We want to help you get the immigration benefits available to you under the VAWA laws. Call us at 714.480.0050.


It is well known that many people enter the United States unlawfully: without documentation or inspection by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). Subsequently, many undocumented immigrants remain in the U.S. for years and go on to establish their lives: they obtain jobs, get married and have children who become U.S. citizens. Indeed, the lives of many undocumented immigrants and their families become deep-rooted in United States. Be that as it may, individuals who enter the U.S. without proper approval are still considered to be unlawful. So, in time, many undocumented immigrants finally make an effort to remedy their immigration status. Unfortunately, many are inadmissible (not allowed) and are denied a United States visa.

When a visa is denied, there is an alternative that should be explored.

Individuals can seek to alter this difficult situation of inadmissibility (non-allowance) by filing an I-601, Application for Waiver of Grounds of Inadmissibility (I-601). An I-601 must be filed by a United States Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident (a petitioner) on behalf of the undocumented unlawful resident (the beneficiary). The I-601 is a way to demonstrate that extreme hardship exists or would exist for the petitioner and his immediate family in the event that the undocumented individual not be not be allowed to lawfully establish his or her life in the United States. An extreme hardship is a severe situation such as an acute illness or condition, financial ruin, or any other harsh circumstance faced by the petitioner, the applicant, or by an immediate member of the applicant's family that affects the petitioner in some adverse way.

What are the Chances of an I-601 Waiver?

While the I-601 Waiver provides a real possibility to get a U.S. visa, you should be aware that currently about 50% are being approved and the other 50% either require additional research or documentation or are disallowed.

The Law Offices of Paul C. Supple specialize in immigration and has an outstanding record of success with I-601 Waivers. The reason is simple: we invest extensive hours of comprehensive analysis, research and preparation to validate cases.

Over 90% of the I-601 Waivers filed by the Law Offices of Paul C. Supple have been approved.

The fact is, the I-601 Waiver application is an exhaustive process of gathering, documenting, filing and ultimately proving a claim of extreme hardship. That is why it is absolutely essential to secure an experienced lawyer for an I-601 Waiver Application. While there is never a guarantee that an I-601 Waiver will be ruled in your favor, using non-professionals that are not experienced or knowledgeable in preparing I-601 Waivers can be very risky and costly.

If you or a family member has been denied a visa on grounds of inadmissibility, we encourage you to make an appointment for a Primer Paso Evaluation so that we can assess the prospects of an I-601 Waiver for you or a member of your family.


If a non-U.S. citizen has been incarcerated by a law enforcement agency (police/sheriff department) it is critical to contact an immigration attorney immediately. Every minute counts and can make a significant difference in the outcome of a case or whether someone gets deported. A person being held should not sign any papers without the presence of an attorney. Remember, non-citizens still have human and legal rights, but a skilled immigration attorney needs to be consulted to determine the best course of action when someone is facing deportation. Whether someone is part of a non-criminal roundup or whether they are being held for a criminal offense it is possible to fight deportation and related charges.

The U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement or I.C.E. is the agency responsible for immigration detention and removal. Their simple goal is to deport individuals who are undocumented. Whenever a law enforcement agency is holding someone in prison or in jail who is not a citizen of the United States, I.C.E. will file an immigration hold requesting that the person - upon completion of a sentence - be turned over to I.C.E. for deportation. The law enforcement agency will often comply with the request, but ICE may first conduct a review to determine if the individual is subject to removal.

In addition ICE will try to establish if an individual:

  • Is eligible to be released on bond, on own recognizance, or under specific criteria
  • Has a right to an immigration hearing
  • Can they be removed from the U.S. without a hearing

A person being held by any law enforcement agency should not sign any papers without the presence of an attorney.